This position reports to the Director of Continuous Improvement & Quality with dotted line authority to the President of the Company.
Establish and maintain welding/fabricating quality processes, methods, and standards which are consistent with the national and international welding standards and codes. These are required to assure zero weld deficiencies of all products including compliance with welding standards and/or customer contract specifications.
- Oversee and assure compliance with American Welding Society requirements.
- Develop, qualify, write, and certify PQR(s) and WPS(s).
- Oversee welder qualification tracking, welder training programs, and the process to release new employees to production for welding.
- Oversee, direct, and lead the Corporate Certified Weld Inspectors and Quality Technicians.
- Oversee the Youth Apprentice Weld Programs at all facilities.
- Improve overall manufacturing processes and methods to enhance product quality at all production facilities.
- Direct the quality activities of the Company through the Pant Managers and their direct reports.
- Oversee the development of the quality control manual to move the Company in the direction of becoming ISO compliant.
- Drive continuous improvement of quality assurance systems through audits of the plants focused on compliance to established policies/procedures and the application of standard work practices.
- Ensure any quality objectives are accomplished to the Corporate Plan.
- Validate the effectiveness of quality processes at each facility by assuring product compliance to specification, monitoring control charts for trends and/or out of control conditions, analyze statistical data summaries for indications of compliance issues, validate all gauging and measurement systems.
- Develop new quality processes or technology to meet internal expectations.
- Prepare required quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends including failed processes, stability studies, recalls, RGA’s, correction actions, and re-validations.
- Enhance overall company quality expectations by exploring new opportunities to bring added value to the job or Company.
- Coordinate manufacturing launch of new/revised products for quality including establishing goals, training team members, and evaluating results.
- Design, develop, test, source and cost justify various quality tools to control quality parameters.
- Oversee any City of Los Angeles, City of Phoenix, Canadian Weld Bureau (CWB) quality documentation records to comply with fabrication license requirements, plus any new ones the Company becomes certified in.
- Oversee any SPC processes required on new jobs per customer requests.
- Represent quality on cross-functional teams and during new product development meetings.
- Train team members on quality programs.
- Maintain quality standards and safety goals set forth for the respective departments.
- Establish a working relationship with all employees to project a positive and teambuilding attitude toward quality.
- Issue corrective actions, track and verify effectiveness through auditing.
- Represent quality and manufacturing related to the Critical Direct Loss program.
- Maintain and ensure compliance with all weld related policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Understand and execute the corporate Mission and Values.
- Identify opportunities to improve profitability.
- Effectively utilize the equipment, computers, software, and other tools provided by the company.
- Travel up to 30%.
- Schedule will be 1-3 days per week working from Stevens Point and 2-3 days per week from New London.
- Travel to Rome, GA facility monthly.
- Additional duties as assigned by the VP of Manufacturing, President and/or executive committee.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required.
The individual must be able to maintain a positive attitude, have a good attendance record, and be able to self-direct work when necessary. Must be highly ethical and motivated to embrace and create change within the organization.
Willingness to work outside of normally scheduled work hours including but not limited to alternate shifts, overtime, and weekends, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required with a Weld Engineering preferred.
- CWI or CWEng Certification or equivalent weld experience required. (AWS D1.1 and D1.3)
- 5 to 7 years quality management experience in a manufacturing setting.
- Lean experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Product development.
- Knowledgeable in Lean Manufacturing techniques.
- Understanding of metal fabrication operations including powder paint application and welding concepts for certification.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office application and Manufacturing programs.
- Technical skills in manufacturing process and methods including flow, layout, assembly, and production equipment.
- Ability to think ahead and plan over a 3-to-6-month time span.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple quality projects.
- Uncompromised commitment to quality and customer service.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Exposed to moving and mechanical parts.
- Occasionally exposed to vibration.
- Noise level is generally high and ear plugs are required.
- Occasionally requires regular lifting of up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision requirements: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust your focus. Ability to read at 12 inches or greater on the Jaeger J2 scale.
- Ability to comply with all safety and PPE requirements.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Personal Attributes Needed:
- Be someone people want to work with.
- Always act with integrity.
- Refuse to accept “good enough” as good enough.
- Have a get it done attitude.
- Outgoing personality.
- Strong team player.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with, or without notice.
Steel King Industries, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we do not discriminate based on race, creed, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or other classification protected under applicable law. Reasonable accommodations will be considered for qualified applicants.