The Sales Engineer position is designed to support Steel King’s National Account Manager sales efforts, including proposal review, bill of material creation, and pricing. Additional duties could include customer identification, customer development and after sale support.
Essential Functions – Position
- Facilitate and assist with sales efforts, by evaluating requests for proposals and determining the most cost efficient and safe design, using standard pre-engineered or custom components.
- Assist with preparation and presentation (as needed) of proposals that meet the Company’s capabilities and the client’s needs.
- Ensure that Steel King products are designed to applicable, current building codes and design specifications, designed for ease of manufacturing, and utilize readily available, cost effective materials.
- Perform or coordinate structural analysis, stamping of drawings and PE calculations as applicable and as needed.
- Work with outside engineering consultants to provide paperwork as necessary for building permit applications.
- Duties may be changed as necessary at the discretion of your Supervisor, the President, or the Executive Committee to meet the changing needs and priorities of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Preserve the company’s reputation for structural integrity and safety while designing/quoting leading-edge material handling products and systems.
- Understand and execute the Corporate Mission and Values.
- Represent Steel King Industries, Inc. to external and internal contacts in a professional manner.
- Identify opportunities to improve sales, market share, and profitability.
- Build teamwork between all functional groups and individuals.
- Effectively utilize the equipment, computers, software and other tools provided by the company.
- Responsibilities may cause an adjustable work schedule, including occasionally working evening/weekend hours in order to meet deadlines. Travel to customer facilities or jobsites.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree, an engineering related field of study a plus.
- 3-5 year’s progressive experience in an engineering and/or sales support environment. Experience in material handling or steel manufacturing setting a plus.
- Knowledge of the Material Handling Industry.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to identify and define improvement opportunities, and to be able to coordinate with others to implement effective solutions.
- Ability to work cooperatively in and amongst teams.
- Accurate and thorough, attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal, written, mathematical, and communication skills.
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel (advanced level user), PowerPoint, and Outlook; AutoCAD.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Manage and prioritize multiple tasks/projects and deadlines.
- Possess sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Produce results with a minimum of supervision.
- Read, analyze and interpret documents such as Request For Proposals (RFPs), Standard Operating Procedures (Work Instructions) and Company Policies.
- Respond to common inquiries in a timely manner.
- Specific knowledge of JD Edwards (Oracle) is beneficial.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bending as necessary. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 25 pounds.