The Senior Structural Engineer (P.E.) is responsible for performing engineering duties related to the creation, development, design, and improvement of corporate products. Provides engineering consultation as requested/required to engineering, sales, and manufacturing. Works with the Director of Engineering to meet organizational objectives for engineering activities.
Essential Job Functions
· Perform engineering calculations using in-house spreadsheets, programs computer-aided structural software;
· Ensure that structural analysis, drawings, and calculations are completed as required on engineered jobs;
· Review calculations and drawings as the Professional Engineer (P.E.) of Record on projects, and stamp and seal documents as needed
· Obtain P.E. licensure in new states and maintain current licenses per company’s needs
· Coordinate work with outside consulting engineers (P.E.s) when required on projects
· Ensure that Steel King products are designed to applicable building codes and design standards;
· Support the sales team by providing technical engineering services on quotes and new opportunities
· Support the Director of Engineering in overseeing engineering work on Research & Development projects
· Monitor changes in codes and specifications and analyze the impact upon the Company’s product line;
· Assist in the training and education of the internal and external sales force regarding engineering issues, effective application of engineering principles in the sales process, Steel King capabilities and procedures, product knowledge, and application information;
· Duties may be changed as necessary at the discretion of the Director of Engineering, Executive Committee, and President.
Other Job Functions
· As may be assigned by the Director of Engineering, Executive Committee, and/or President.
· Understand and execute the corporate Mission and Values;
· Utilize engineering best practices to maintaining quality and structural standards;
· Build teamwork between the Manufacturing department, Regional Managers, Inside Sales, Engineering department and other functional groups;
· Represent Steel King Industries, Inc. to external contacts in a professional manner;
· Preserve the company’s reputation for structural integrity and safety while designing leading-edge products and systems;
· Inform the Director of Engineering of engineering trends and developments to assist the company in making informed decision and strategy changes;
· Effectively utilize the equipment, computers, software, and other tools provided by the company;
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Civil and/or Structural Engineering or related field required;
· Master’s Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering preferred;
· 5 to 10 years of structural experience required;
· Active P.E. License (at least one state) required
· Fluency in at least one Structural Design Program (Such as RISA3D, STAAD, or SAP2000), or the ability to learn and use RISA3D
· Experience in a steel manufacturing environment preferred;
· Prior experience in the material handling and/or rack industry is a plus
· Experience resolving conflict with building departments, general contractors, and/or third-party engineering firms a plus;
· Any combination of education and experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position will be considered.
Skills and Abilities
· Ability to establish working relationships with all employees to project a positive and teambuilding attitude throughout
· Ability to read, write, use mathematics, analyze, understand, and interpret contracts, building codes, and drawings.
· Ability to communicate in a professional, respectful, and effective manner in both written and oral communication with internal and external customers;
· Read, analyze and interpret documents such as Standard Operating Procedures and company policies
· Apply skills to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form
· Respond to common inquiries
· Satisfactorily perform essential engineering duties
· Familiar with inventor vault for access and storage for drawers.
· Possess excellent oral and written communications skills
· Perform all necessary mathematical skills as required by the job
· Produce results with minimal supervision
· Ability to make sound decisions;
· Ability to work in a lean manufacturing environment and adapt to a DFM (Design for manufacturing) philosophy.
· Ability to maintain professionalism in all business communication internal and external to Steel King;
· Critical thinking skills;
· Ability to effectively problem solve.
Personal Attributes Needed
· Be someone people want to work with;
· Always act with integrity;
· Refuse to accept “good enough” as good enough;
· Have a get it done attitude.
Steel King Industries, Inc. reserves the right to alter the job description at any time to meet business needs in the functional area of engineering and design. This job description should not be considered all inclusive.
Steel King Industries, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate based on any protected class or status under State and/or Federal law.