Reports to the Plant Manager.
Develops manufacturing tooling processes, process tooling improvements and provides technical tooling support for all roll forming mills in the facility. Interfaces with departments and personnel for the purpose of analyzing and supplying information to achieve established tooling/die set requirements.
The Tooling Specialist is responsible for the inventory, inspection, ordering, restocking, maintenance and overseeing the installation of mill tooling/die sets for all roll forming equipment. Ensure that tooling is safe, of good quality, and meets company requirements.
This is achieved through the application of mechanical theory, principals of roll forming, and related knowledge to layout, build, test, troubleshooting and repair of roll forming equipment.
Essential Job Functions
- Observes and oversees/directs repairs of the functioning installed equipment to detect hazards, problems, and the need for service, repair and/or replacement of components;
- Improve manufacturing tooling processes and methods for cost reduction, quality improvement and efficiency opportunities within the facility;
- Development, organize and maintain tracking and monitoring for roll forming tooling/die sets to be used for yearly capital projects;
- Assist and organize equipment shut down schedules for tooling changes to minimize loss of production and profits;
- Keep statistical and financial records to manage tooling/die set budgets;
- Keep up to date with current and developing trends in the industry;
- Discusses equipment performance issues and improvement ideas with relevant technical staff;
- Read and understand tooling blueprints;
- Recommends changes in tooling to simplify assembly and maintenance;
- Required to maintain proper amounts of backup tooling/die sets for all roll forming equipment;
- Send tooling/die sets for sharpening to prolong life of tooling/die sets;
- Understand and apply knowledge to troubleshoot and repair equipment;
- Adjusts, calibrates, aligns tooling/die sets and records effects on unit performance;
- Data collection and analysis of roll forming processes;
- Check newly installed equipment to evaluate system performance under actual operating conditions;
- Obtain and maintain forklift and aerial lift platform training and certification;
- Keep work area free of hazards;
Other Job Functions
All other duties/projects as assigned by the Plant Manager, Vice President of Manufacturing, President, or Executive Committee.
- Understand and execute the corporate Mission and Values;
- Identify opportunities to improve equipment function;
- Repeatable represent Steel King Industries, Inc. in a professional manner;
- Preserve the company’s reputation for equipment integrity and safety;
- Effectively utilize the equipment, computers, software and other tools provided by the company;
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Associate degree in related field preferred;
- At least seven years of roll forming experience required;
- At least seven years of experience in changing roll forming tooling and die sets required;
- At least seven years of experience in a steel manufacturing environment required;
- Capital improvement experience preferred;
- Any combination of education and experience will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to establish working relationships with all employees to project a positive and teambuilding attitude throughout;
- Ability to read, write, use mathematics, analyze, understand, and interpret programmable logic and flow charts;
- Ability to communicate in a professional, respectful, and effective manner in both written and oral communication with internal and external customers;
- Trained in Lean Manufacturing principles and implementation of 5S programs;
- Apply skills to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form;
- Ability to work other shifts and overtime to complete tooling changes as required;
- Satisfactorily perform essential Roll Former duties;
- Ability to be on call to support production needs;
- Computer skills with the capability to use email, compile reports and spreadsheets for parts and project tracking;
- Ability to prepare technical reports for documenting issues/changes to equipment;
- Ability to manage projects for implementing changes and improvements;
- Ability to take responsibility for work exercising care and compliance of all established safety procedures;
- Ability to adhere to company safety policies, including wearing appropriate PPE;
- Ability to work in conditions where dirt, fumes, lubricants, etc. may be present;
- Ability to handle physically heavy lifting of materials and tools up to 75 lbs., heavier materials may require assistance;
- Ability to perform all necessary mathematical and electrical skills as required by the job;
- Produce results with minimal supervision;
- Work effectively with different teams from shop employees to senior management;
- Ability to make sound decisions;
- Critical thinking skills;
- Hands on to complete and resolve issues;
- Ability to effectively problem solve.
Personal Attributes Needed
- Application of standards;
- Think and act with a sense of urgency;
- Continuously improve and learn;
- Do whatever it takes to get the job done;
- Be proud of quality work;
- Formalization and transmission of know-how;
- Development and monitoring of key indicators;
- Be honest and trustworthy;
- Be responsive;
- Be innovative;
- Be accountable;
- Act with integrity;
- Maintain confidentiality.
Tool Usage Requirements
- General hand tools;
- Power tools, including but not limited to, drill motors, saws all, band saw, hammer drill, etc.;
- Shop equipment, including but not limited to, horizontal band saw, drill press, belt sanders, grinders, etc.